With over 80,000 seniors in New York’s 14th Congressional District, one of Joe’s top priorities is ensuring New York remains a great place for seniors to spend their golden years. In particular, after a lifetime of hard work seniors deserve to know that the promises of Social Security and Medicare will be upheld.
From his seat on the Ways and Means Committee, which oversees these critical programs, Joe is not only fighting to protect Social Security and preserve Medicare, but is working to strengthen these lifelines for seniors today and generations to come.
Joe is working on behalf of New York’s seniors by:
- Opposing Republican efforts to privatize Social Security and dismantle Medicare by replacing it with a voucher system, both of which would increase seniors’ day-to-day costs and reduce their health care benefits
- Enhancing and improving seniors’ benefits through the enactment of the Affordable Care Act of 2010 (P.L. 111-148) which:
- Provides free annual wellness visits;
- Expanded Medicare to ensure key preventive services like mammograms and cholesterol screenings are covered;
- Strengthens Medicare for the long-term by extending its solvency;
- Put health care decision making back in the hands of seniors and their doctors instead of insurance companies; and
- Reduced the cost of prescription drugs by:
- Closing the gap in Medicare Part D’s coverage (also known as the “donut hole”) so seniors pay less out-of-pocket for their medications; and
- Providing the nearly 4 million people on Medicare who confronted this gap in coverage in 2010 with a one-time, tax-free $250 rebate check.
- Spearheading a plan to give every senior on Social Security a one-time $250 payment in 2011 to make up for the lack of a cost of living adjustment (COLA) to their benefits
- Raising awareness in the community of scams targeting seniors
More on Seniors
(Washington, D.C.) – House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley (D-NY) issued the following statement on the passage of the 2018 omnibus funding bill:
“Republicans have lurched from crisis to crisis, forcing a government shutdown upon Americans far too many times. While this funding legislation may bring a semblance of balance back to Washington, I voted against this bill because it was a missed opportunity.
(Washington, D.C.) – El presidente del Caucus Demócrata de la Cámara de Representantes Joe Crowley (D-NY), emitió las siguientes declaraciones sobre la aprobación del “Omnibus”, la ley presupuestal del 2018:
"Los republicanos han atravesado de una crisis a otra, imponiéndole a los estadounidenses cierres de gobierno demasiadas veces. Si bien esto podrá puede traer a Washington un aparente equilibrio, yo voté en contra de esta ley porque considero que es una oportunidad perdida.
(Queens, N.Y.) – House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley (D-NY) issued the following statement on President Trump’s 2019 budget:
“This isn’t a budget - it’s a plan to bankrupt the American middle class.
(Washington, D.C.) – House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley (D-NY) and Congressman John B. Larson (D-CT), the Ranking Member for the Ways and Means Subcommittee on Social Security, along with 107 Democratic members of the House, sent a letter to President Donald Trump today, urging him to support higher funding for the Social Security Administration to reduce the unconscionable delays Americans are facing to receive the benefits they have earned.
(Washington, D.C.) – House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley (D-NY) issued the following statement on the government funding bill:
“Republicans have proven time and time again that they cannot govern. President Trump and GOP leaders lack a cohesive vision for this country, and as a result, we’re left lurching from deadline to deadline and crisis to crisis. That isn’t leadership, and it’s doing nothing to help lift up Americans, who deserve a functioning government.”
(Queens, N.Y.) – Hoy, el presidente del Caucus Demócrata de la Cámara de Representantes Joe Crowley (D-NY) presentó ‘Un Mejor Trato para Queens y el Bronx’, un plan de iniciativas legislativas y acciones que mejorarán la vida de los neoyorquinos.
El plan ‘Un Mejor Trato para Queens y el Bronx’ incluye mejoras reales y tangibles para facilitar que los estudiantes aprendan en aulas modernas y para que los padres tomen las mejores decisiones para sus familias sobre el cuidado infantil y sus carreras profesionales.
(Queens, N.Y.) – Today, House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley (D-NY) introduced A Better Deal for Queens and the Bronx - a collection of concrete legislative and advocacy efforts to improve life for New Yorkers.