Congressman Crowley Votes Against Destructive and Irresponsible Republican Budget
(Washington, D.C.) – Today, Rep. Joe Crowley (D-Queens, the Bronx), Vice Chair of the Democratic Caucus, released the statement below after voting against the destructive and irresponsible Republican budget:
“The budget passed by the House today reflects everything that is wrong the Republican agenda and party. The Republican budget undermines job creation, protects the wealthiest amongst us at the expense of middle class families, rewards corporations for shipping jobs overseas, and breaks our promise to seniors – all while jeopardizing our nation’s economic future.
“It doesn’t have to be this way. House Democrats have a budget that reflects our values and creates an atmosphere of growth and opportunity for American families and businesses. Our budget creates jobs and lifts up America’s middle class, makes critical investments in education and infrastructure, keeps the promise of health and financial security to our nation’s seniors, and responsibly reduces the deficit.
“It is my hope that my Republican colleagues put an end to their political games and misguided policies and instead join us in passing a budget that strengthens our economy and creates opportunity for every American.”
The Republican budget would have a devastating impact on seniors, education, middle class families, and our economy by:
- Significantly undermining the economic and health security of seniors by ending the Medicare guarantee, slashing Medicaid, and forcing seniors to pay more out-of-pocket for prescription drugs
- Making severe cuts to successful early education programs like Head Start
- Burdening college students by slashing student aid programs like Pell grants and charging students interest on loans when they enter college – not after they graduate – leaving students deeper in debt
- Cutting job training and employment services, all while ignoring the long-term unemployed by not extending unemployment insurance
- Raising taxes on middle class families with children by more than $2,000 to pay for a more than $200,000 tax break for millionaires
Congressman Crowley is the eight-term representative from the 14th Congressional District of New York, which includes sections of Queens and the Bronx. He is a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee and serves as Vice Chair of the Democratic Caucus in the House of Representatives.